While the site of The Old Rectory may be traced back to the
C17th, the present building dates from around 1837.
set in extensive grounds, was owned by Charles Leatherland in
the 1940s during his time as news editor of the Daily Herald . He became a prominent member of the Dunton community, serving as
chairman of the Dunton Parish Invasion Committee from 1942.
the end of the First World War, Mr Leatherland had enjoyed a distinguished
career as a journalist. As a lifelong supporter of the Labour Party he
was to continue to hold several prominent posts in public life resulting in a
life peerage in 1964.
Information on Charles Leatherland's life
may be found on the website
compiled by his grandson, David Richards, in particular the section, "Dunton
Today, the Old Rectory has found a new
role as an attractive hotel.
concerning The Old Rectory with present-day images may be
accessed on the Old Rectory hotel website.